Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm So Lucky

Even with all my illnesses, stresses in life, lack of relationships, etc., I consider myself incredibly lucky.  I have people in my life who care about me; family and friends that would do just about anything for me.  I have a team of Doctors that are on the bleeding edge of technology and I get to go along for the ride.

As I settle back into my favorite chair, with an excess of energy I haven't had in a while, I think back to the last couple of days and I'm gently reminded that I get the chance to have a significant impact on things from time to time.  I've just returned from a trip to the Mayo Clinic where I was asked to test out some new technology for kidney dialysis patients.  Overall, it was a wonderful trip full of compassionate nurses, Doctors, therapy cats (I love you so much Wacco), and the best chocolate milk I've had in years.  The surprise "airport hanger" lunch was an excellent wrap up I really must say.

As I arrived at the facility yesterday, I was reminded of how far I've come, and how far I've strayed from where I once was.  I'm blessed to have become more mature, more learned of medical procedures, and more patient as a patient.  However, as nurses and technicians continued to comment on the last formal talk I gave out West, I was reminded that I don't do nearly as much public speaking and inspiration as I used to.  There was a time when I was knee deep in treatments and illness, that I would stand in front of a group of people (sometimes a small group of 15, sometimes a huge group of over 2,000) and share my story on a regular basis.  I would give them a glimpse into my world and explain to them how I stay positive and how I try to help others. So much has happened to me since those speaking engagements, and I have grown so very much as a person, that I think the talks I give could be even more now than they were.

I am currently negotiating two speaking engagements at the Mayo clinic and am seriously considering starting to advertise myself as a keynote and inspirational speaker.  As I mentioned, I miss public speaking, and it's something I truly enjoy.  The concept of getting paid to share my story has never really crossed my mind, I would do my talks simply because I wanted to help others understand what patients go through, how to help them, and (sometimes more importantly) what NOT to do to "help".   However, as it was pointed out to me, I can be compensated for my knowledge, experiences, and time.  Why not?

Who knows, maybe if this picks up a little, I can get inspired to write the book that everyone keeps telling me I should write.  :)  

So, that's it for now kittens.  Nothing spectacular or overly inspiring at this time.  Just my thoughts.  I'm going to start cleaning now -- with some of this energy I have found!

I love you .. each and every one of you.  YOU keep me going, you help me realize that my thoughts and experiences can make a difference in lives, and YOU are the reason I write.

Much love
Trinity

Be at peace with yourself and you can be at peace with the world.  

No comments: